Sunday, January 27, 2008

Welcome, readers one and all!

With the demise of http://www.reviewplays.com/ as of January 1, I never in a million years dreamed that I could have my very own website - and, this quickly! Thanks to my friends Mike Zakibe, who took pictures of me for the flash page and MaryJo Mundy, who designed the site. I am forever grateful, guys! xoxo many times over
for your truly superb professional work and spirit
Now that I am up and running, check out my year-end list on the home page
The Best in LA Theatre for 2007
and my interview with Peter Paige. This was done on November 28 while The History Boys was running at the Ahmanson, but because reviewplays came down, it has not been published until now. Thanks, Peter and best of luck in all of your endeavors this year!
Thrilled that some of the LADCC noms reflect my thinking. Happy for 13 -terrif Jason Robert Brown score and ensemble teenage cast, Danny Calvert, Nick DeGruccio and Zanna, Don't! Also Norman Large in Musical Theatre West's Pirates of Penzance! The Antaeus Co's Tonight at 8:30! And of course, those delightful actresses/singers the Winter Wonderettes! It seems, however, that many great performances were overlooked. What about Brian Childers as Danny Kaye? Very deserving!!!! C'est la vie in LA! There's always the Ovations in the fall!
As far as the Oscars are concerned, I was blown away by Marion Cotillard's performance as Edith Piaf in La Vie en Rose - and the film. What a masterpiece for director Olivier Dahan!
The predicted winner this year in the Best Actress category is Julie Christie for Away From Her, who has always been wonderful, but it would be hard for anyone this year to come close to Cotillard's brilliance. Bonne chance!
I would also love to see Johnny Depp win for his Sweeney Todd. What intensity that actor possesses! Even though I have been used to stage Sweeneys with close to operatic voices, Depp's portrayal was cinematically magnificent! Good luck!
As we eagerly await Oscar night, 3 shows in LA theatre have been EXTENDED! YEAH!! Post Mortem at the Lyric Hyperion Theater until March 2, Thrill Me at the Hudson Backstage until March 16, and the Joan Rivers Project at the Geffen until April 6. Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read my reviews of all 3!
Chat at 'ya again soon!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home